PLASTIC BAG PHASE-OUT
In an industry-defining move, Countdown announced a phase out of single-use plastic carrier bags by the end of 2018.The initiative removes 350 million plastic bags from the waste stream every year.
As the move to phase out plastic bags was driven by research, market events and Corporate Affairs analysis, it was decided the announcement would be PR-led.
Porter Novelli was tasked with reinforcing Countdown’s already well-established environmental and sustainability reputation to generate an industry-leading position.
- In the two days following the announcement, Countdown’s plastic bag commitment reached a cumulative audience of 3,688,072
- 106 x pieces of media coverage on the announcement across television, radio and in print.
- On social media the announcement generated 1,826 comments, 1,395 shares and 13,000 likes on the Countdown Facebook post on the announcement.
- It was Countdown’s most-viewed and engaged Facebook post. Reach exceeded 540,964
- Support from NGOs and ministers was also secured, including Greenpeace and Green MP Julie-Anne Genter. We won PRINZ corporate public relations award 2018.