SPCA Cupcake Day 2015
As a charity, SPCA NZ relies almost entirely on the generosity of New Zealanders to carry out its role of protecting animals. In 2015, Porter Novelli was tasked with creating a fresh and dynamic campaign for SPCA Cupcake Day, the charity’s annual national fundraising appeal.
While pulling on the heartstrings of animal lovers is a piece of cake, getting them to contribute to the seventh year of a fundraising appeal is not so easy. In 2015, the SPCA wanted to inform people of its crucial role in relation to animal rescue, while raising awareness of SPCA Cupcake Day to generate participation in the fundraising appeal, and ultimately drive donations.
Campaign highlights include:
· Hard-hitting animal rescue stories published in local and national newspapers
· ‘A day in the life’ of an SPCA inspector aired on primetime current affairs television
· Cupcake recipes shared across some of New Zealand’s best known print and online publications
· Social media and live television reach achieved through gifting three celebrity animal lovers’ personalised cupcakes in the image of their pet
· New Zealand’s most elaborate cupcake crafted by popular dessert restaurant Milse auctioned on Trade Me.
The campaign was a phenomenal success with significant increases in participant registration and conversation, and fundraising targets exceeded by 12 per cent.
Public Relations Institute of New Zealand Awards 2016: Limited Budget Public Relations, Winner