AIG Haka 360
The Maori haka evokes a spine-tingling sense of pride in New Zealanders, and enchants audiences around the world. As Global Sponsor of the All Blacks, AIG sought to bring rugby fans closer to the haka during the 2015 Rugby World Cup. Enter the AIG Haka 360 Experience, a virtual reality headset and smart phone app that put audiences on the field with the All Blacks. Porter Novelli was tasked with navigating the cultural sensitivities of the haka, bringing the powerful ritual to life for fans not attending the games.
Porter Novelli worked with Iwi and public relations teams in the United Kingdom, United States, Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia to craft a highly successful integrated campaign. Through clever, creative, and culturally respectful communications work, the AIG Haka 360 Experience exceeded AIG’s organisational and campaign objectives, including:
- Total New Zealand media reach of more than 7 million people
- Extensive coverage of the headset spread across local and national newspapers
- Extensive coverage of the app on national television
- Media coverage in overseas markets including Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia
- 100 per cent positive sentiment in social media posts tagged with #haka360.
When 2015 Rugby World Cup fever had ended, the AIG Haka 360 Experience app had been downloaded over 29,000 times.